This was a very interesting one. At first I had a hard time, then I thought the things I missed were much too alike (the list started out mostly food things). It was nice to let this swirl around my head for a time and see what surfaced. These are my top ten.
- Sledding down the hill at Grandma and Grandpa S’s house across the street and being beckoned from their bedroom window to come on in for some hot chocolate before we caught a chill when we had only been down the hill twice each. I swear we spent more time getting in and out of our copious amounts of snow gear than we actually spent in them, LOL!
- Grandpa Bakke’s grilled steaks with wilted lettuce (yes, the kind wilted by bacon grease with plenty of vinegar and onions), baked potatoes with chive sour cream, garlic bread and perhaps a jello salad of some variety followed by grandma’s rhubarb dessert with meringue on top. *sigh*
- Reading after bed time under the covers with a pilfered flashlight.
- Hand dipped Dilly Bars - especially the ones with chocolate ice cream and peppermint coating. None of that pre-packaged silliness most Dairy Queens offer from a self-serve freezer case. Phooey!
- Gymnastics. While I was never going to get any ribbons, I was lean and fierce and had mad core strength. It was also the only period of my childhood when I wasn’t bullied and it was all much too brief.
- Exploring the woods and dreaming up elaborate forts to hide in.
- Week-long Monopoly marathons with the girls next door (a mile north of us).
- After dance class dinners at Grandma and Grandpa Bakke’s house, often with some yummy homemade soup they whipped together with buttered soda crackers.
- Spending entire afternoons in the hammock with a good book and a cat or three.
- Delivering food to dad and any helpers in the field on my bike and then getting to join them and maybe getting to ride in the tractor for a bit too.
How about you, what do you miss from your childhood?