I’m sure now that we are nearly through the first week of the Get Movin’ Challenge there are some struggling with getting in their 30 minutes consistently. Perhaps hectic schedules or boredom are partially to blame. Don’t forget though that there are probably a lot of things on your to-do list that can count towards your daily physical activity.
- Yard work like mowing and trimming.
- Gardening tasks like pulling weeds, prepping beds, hauling mulch or rock etc.
- Walking to/from a bus stop or far away parking.
- Walking while shopping (it might not up your heart rate much, but it is better than sitting).
- Cleaning the house.
- MapMyFitness even has an option to log your intimate activity! (Just be certain to set your privacy settings on that one.)
Don’t forget the beauty of multi-tasking either! While it may take longer to walk or bike to work than driving, it may not take longer than driving and having to hit the gym. Chances are it’ll be quicker to find a place to park your bike and you can reduce your exposure to road rage. Not to mention the gas/pollution you’ll save!
If you log your workout on the computer, MapMyFitness now lets you add multiple activities into one “workout.” So, I wait until the end of the day and map out all the places I’ve walked and add in any gym workouts I’ve done etc. so I get one single workout counting toward the challenge, even though aside from gym workouts I’m just being active in 10-20 minutes spurts most of the time. I’m not sure if the iPhone app allows that or not. I haven’t looked yet. The one downside to this is I can’t have MMF track my movements or my heartrate, but that saves my phone’s battery life too so I’ll take it.
Do you have tips for being more active in your everyday life?